Safety/Child Safe Space
- We will take extra care with new people who walk through our door and try to make certain they feel welcome and comfortable.
- We will work hard to represent all members of the community, especially those who feel they have no voice.
- We will treat each member of the Salasin Center community with care and compassion, as we wish to be treated.
- We will welcome all those who are struggling.
- When a member of the Salasin Center community needs to talk, we will do our best to listen with full awareness, without criticism or judgment, and when a member has a need that extends beyond our capacity, we will do our best to refer that person to the appropriate support within the community.
- We will strive to meet each person “where they’re at” in regards to recovery, way of life, emotional stability and health.
- We will seek to recognize our own biases and prejudices of others’ cultures, races, life experiences, belief systems, classes, ages and genders and gender identities, and attempt not to place them on others.
- We will honor each other’s culture, race, life experience, belief system, class, age and gender/gender identity.
- We will do our best to acknowledge and validate the achievements and feelings of others.
- We will strive to treat everyone with dignity and respect, and as a valued individual.
- We will show appreciation to our community members.
- We will support others to make their own decisions and choices in regards to their own lives and the lives of their children.
- We will be ready and willing to speak with anyone we may have inadvertently upset, and will use listening skills in our communication.
- We will be role models within the community, always remembering we are representatives of the Salasin Center. We will make every effort to be considerate of each other.
- We will not take another’s belongings or any property of the Salasin Center without first seeking permission.
- We will work together as a group, maintaining the concept at all times of peer-run programs, remembering we are not counselors or therapists, or professionals in this capacity, although some members may be in their professional lives.
- We acknowledge that oppression exists in our community and will be aware of its impact.
- Every person deserves to be treated equally, without judgment or prejudice.
- We will strive for inclusion of every culture, race, life experience, belief system, class, age, gender and gender identity in our community.
- We value diversity by honoring people of all races, cultures, religions and sexual orientations, gender, and gender identity.
- We believe that all related to the Salasin Center are seeking to enhance the stability, health and wellness of their families.
- We will seek to resolve conflicts with others and not to create disturbances by way of the use of profanity, gossip, fighting, choosing sides, outbursts of anger or harming others.
- We will respect every member’s personal boundaries: physical, social, and emotional.
- We will honor each other’s confidentiality and right to privacy. What is said, heard or seen here stays here.
- We will not bring drugs, and/or alcohol on the premises of the Salasin Center or attend Salasin Center activities or meetings under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- When we have concerns for the safety of others, ourselves, or the integrity of the project, we will seek staff guidance.